Monday, November 16, 2009

A Talking on the Phone Day

Spent a part of my day on the phone doing some community organizing (I'm not a real community organizer, but may start to play one at the corner of 4th and Maple) bringing together the owners of a home who are applying for a re-zoning permit in order to house a rental office out of the first floor, members of the church and members of the business community. There is concern about the kind of traffic this business will generate, so we're all going to get together and try to work things out at the church in about a week.

Another part of my day was spent on the phone discussing the Baker Bazaar, the school's big December fundraiser. Each class makes something and then sells it in this big market held at a local Methodist Church. Our class is making decoupaged light switch and electric outlet covers. Guess who gets to buy the materials and help teach the kids how to make them? A little decoupage time may be just what I need right about now.

The part of the day that about did me in was my trip up to Children's Hospital's ICU to see friends from college whose son has severe pneumonia from H1N1 complications. They are holding up much better than I would be. I wonder how heavy a dose of tranquilizers they would have to give me if Maddie ever ends up in the ICU. And then, of course, they'd have to double that for Skip. I'm going back to check on my friends on Wednesday with magazines and crosswords in hand. Prayers for the Randolph family are appreciated. This was also the cause for many phone calls today to let other friends from college who are here in town know what's going on. Fortunately, there are a lot of Centenary College class of 91,92,93 around these parts, so hopefully we can be helpful during the time they have to be here.

I am so thankful for my kid today for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that she let me off the hook from the Baker Elementary Thanksgiving lunch and didn't even know it. I've done one lunch at her elementary school where parents and friends are invited, and it is such madness! Crowded and loud and hot. I was so not looking forward to a repeat, and I was going to have to shuffle some things at church to make it. She just came to me on Saturay and said, "Mom, I don't even like what they're serving for that lunch and it's always so crowded. Could you just come and have lunch with me on Monday instead?" I love this kid! I picked up Sonic for both of us and went up to school and we had 20 minutes to sit and eat and visit. I'm going to do that more often. It was a lot of fun. And it didn't involve the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment