Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ahhh, to be able to practice what one preaches

My house is a wreck. I've got overdue library books I can't find. There is a pile of laundry that needs to be put away. The refrigerator is almost empty. I've to three more days until I'm supposed to lead worship at a conference for Presby camp folks and my daughter will be out of school for all of them. Also, there's that whole Sunday morning worship thing to prepare for. Please God, send us a piano player soon! I may be teetering on the edge of a major panic attack or some sort of hysterical episode.

I was just fine tuning a draft of a message I started writing about two weeks ago and I had to stop and give myself a great big eye roll when I got to this part:

Take a Sabbath from anxiety by the realization that you can’t fix everything, nothing will ever be enough and the world is not dependant on you. Take a Sabbath from anxiety by acknowledging that all we need is available to us from God.

Did I really write that? And is anybody going to listen to me when I don't even listen to me? I think I have a little inner-work to do before I can be authentic in my presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment