Sunday, November 15, 2009

Evil Forces and Entrepreneurs

"There are forces loose in this land that threaten to rip and tear asunder the very fabric of this republic." --Senator John McClellan.

There were definitely forces loose in the church and its immediate vicinity in the two hours that led up to worship today. By the time I got up to welcome everyone, I was completely frazzled and rung out. Following worship was a lunch and a session meeting, so I didn't even make it home until almost 4 p.m. That's when Skip called wondering why I hadn't responded to any of his text messages. I told him that I really couldn't even begin to get into it, but I was glad he arrived in London safely. I collapsed in the recliner for about 45 minutes, then got up to make dinner and help Maddie with her latest entreprenurial endeavor.

When she started going door to door selling the earrings and charms she made (like disappearing from the house with her box of goodies and cold calling the neighbors), we figured we had to do something. So I took this as a "teaching moment" opportunity. Now Maddie (in partnership with her mom) has her own Etsy page. Etsy is an on-line marketplace for handmade items. She has had to come up with pricing based on the cost of materials as well as the time she spends. She is definitely pricing to sell, but she knows she has to make enough to buy more supplies to make more jewelry. She has only posted a few items so far, but I told her to start slow and build. She's also come up with ideas of things for ME to make and sell, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe after Christmas.

Maddie's Shop

Check back often. There will be new items every week. Sure beats a paper route.

No comments:

Post a Comment