Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween

So my husband went with some of the other neighborhood dads to take the kids trick-or-treating while I stayed home to dole out the candy. Our neighborhood is a popular destination for Halloween. We have sidewalks and well-lit streets, so it's a great place to bring your kids. We only had a handful this year with no costumes, the rest were fun to see--until we ran out of candy. Maddie and a friend came back to our house to check out their stash. I was disappointed that Junior Mints and York Peppermint Patties did not make a showing in my daughter's treat bag this year. I always get those since she does not like mint flavored anything.

While I was handing out candy, I was listening to last week's "This American Life" from NPR via podcast, and I've never been so scared in my life. The first part of the program was about the "hell house" that is run every October by a church in Cedar Hill, Texas. I was beyond appalled and am pretty sure I'm going to have nightmares about it tonight. While I would never claim to be a Biblical scholar, I did go to seminary, and I'm pretty sure that Jesus never tried to frighten anyone into following him.

So, in spite of the fact that the roof leaks and the HVAC unit in the sanctuary is out and money is short, I'm more determined than ever to make First Pres in downtown NLR work. Not only do we need to reach people who have never had a church, we need to reach people who have been scarred by places like Cedar Hill.

But Halloween or not, this is the best night of the year. We get an extra hour of sleep. Don't forget to fall back. Wonder how many people will show up early for church tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter and I had a discussion about Hell house, the day before your post. She then went and visited it. I think it is safe to say that she was torn between utterly offended and finding it laughable. I am not fond of the idea of trying to literally scare the hell out of people. I have to confess that I err on the side of preach God's grace in my preaching and have probably done a disservice in making people aware of the very real pain and trauma of sin. Some how there has to be a good balance. I think of Jesus talking to the woman who was nearly stoned for adultery. He told her both that she was forgiven and that she needed to go and sin no more. The depth of our understanding of the good news, I suspect is directly proportional to our understanding of the bad news. I think the reformer John Calvin grasped grace so profoundly because he truly understood the depth of his sinful nature and the consequence of it. I wonder what a good reformed alternative would be to "hell house?" hmmm? Would love to hear your thoughts Anne.

    ReplyDelete