Friday, October 23, 2009

Busy Week Expanded

I have discovered that Monday house chores are much less dreary when I download the weekend's editions of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" and "The News from Lake Wobegon" on my I-pod. They are free podcasts, so I have it set up to automatically download every week. It gives me about an hour-and-a-half of stuff to listen to while working around the house. Then I switch over to music.

When you need to increase worship attendance weekly in order to get a church back up and running, there is a bit of pressure on the sermonizing. In a normal church setting, one can expect that the preacher will have off Sundays or some sermons that are better than others. But when you really need everyone who comes for the first time to want to come back again, and you really don't have a music program, and you're worshipping in a fellowship hall, you better have a really killer sermon...every time. But when I start to feel the pressure, I remind myself that I really do believe that God has plans for this church in this community at this time and that it really isn't all on me.

My best news this week was a response from someone I had invited to church. A former camper of mine told me he'll be out of town this week, but relayed that when he told a friend that I was trying to get him back in church, the friend said that he had heard there was a younger woman preacher at that church and that people were really excited about it. Did you catch the "younger" part?

Am loving my extended community of pastor friends and Christian educators who have been great about sharing ideas about evangelism and worship and grant seeking. The Internet is a great thing.

Got to try the Jambalaya yesterday. One of the local restaurants in Argenta has a cook that makes a different soup or stew each week and he only does the jambalaya about once a month. One of our church members who rents studio space in the church gets an alert on her cell when the jambalaya is ready. I've been struggling with sinus problems all week and I believe that cleared it all up.

Am also getting ready to be the worship leader for PCCCA conference in about two weeks. I am not ready and need to get so quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment