Monday, October 5, 2009

Chariots of Fire

Tonight my eight-year-old mimed slow motion running while singing the Chariots of Fire theme song. I'm pretty sure she's never seen that movie, so I asked her why she knew the song. She looked at me like I was crazy. "That's the song they always play when people are running toward each other or toward something in the movies or on cartoons." Then she rattled off a list: Shrek, Phineas and Ferb, Lilo and Stitch. I guess I hadn't realized how widely and often that song has been appropriated for all manner of slow-mo running scenes. I attempted to educate my daughter on cinematic history, but she wasn't much interested.

Of course, my favorite appropriation of the theme song occurs in the original National Lampoon's Vacation movie. The scene where Clark Griswold and his son Rusty make the last part of their journey to Wally World on foot only to find that the park is closed for maintenance is a classic by anyone's standards.

I am tired of being sick and feeling guilty for being tired of being sick. In spite of feeling like I've been run over by some large mode of transportation, I am in better shape than a lot of folks. No hacking cough. No raging temp. No hospitalization. And, although I have many projects/sermons/worship services I need to be working on, I do not need to be AT work right now, so I'm ahead on that score as well. My house is a little gross, but I'm about to get on the horn to contact someone to help with that one. So, all and all, I can't really complain about a little enforced rest time.

No comments:

Post a Comment