Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall Fun Weekend





Fun weekend of fall festivals and pumpkin carving parties. Rained all week last week and looks to do the same this week, but the weekend was gorgeous. Because I have way more to do than I can say grace over, I decided to try a new recipe. I made this fabulous pumpkin fudge that is my new favorite thing. So I took it all to the pumpkin carving party on a paper plate and left it! It is a dangerous thing indeed.

Am up to my ears in worship! Between the new church and being worship leader for a conference that is coming up, I've got songs and prayers and sermons and poems filling up and spilling out of my brain. After church was over yesterday, I declared a worship-free day just to try and clear my head a little.

Speaking of worship, I have to poke just a little fun at this. A friend of mine goes to Church at Rock Creek, and I just found out that they offer an express worship service for people who can only spare 30 minutes a week for church. You sing two songs, have a prayer and get a shortened version of the sermon. It's like the Reader's Digest version of church. I know it's one of the biggest churches in town, so they're clearly doing something right, but I'm still going to laugh about the Express Worship.

Just an update on the Ms. Tatum (who has a number of names that she uses). She showed up during worship on Sunday wanting to talk to the pastor. She's done this at Grace before and I think the plan is to get money from church members who just don't want her disrupting the service. Our folks weren't biting and told her she could wait for the pastor. When service was finished, she was gone. She did, however, call today and our church secretary passed along her number to me. She used a completely different name this time. A new one I had not heard before. As she started in on her tale of woe, I stopped her and told her that I simply didn't believe her stories and we would not be helping her with money. I expected to be yelled and/or cursed at, but she just said, "Alright then." And hung up. If only I had done that years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment