Sunday, October 4, 2009

Emerging

After three days in bed, I'm beginning to feel like a person again. Not a strong, healthy person, but at least in the human family. My doctor prescribed Tamiflu for me. Just a tip: do not take on an empty stomach. That was a miserable lesson to learn. It's extremely expensive, and I have to wonder how much it helps. Hard to know. I understand that the CDC is recommending NOT prescribing it to healthy adults who don't have other health risks, but my doctor is apparently not following those guidelines. And, while I'm not one to rush into taking expensive, possibly unnecessary medicines, this flu season and all its media coverage has made me want to take whatever help I can get. My hope now is that it will not spread to the rest of the family. I do seem to be the weakest link in our household when it comes to immune systems, so the rest of the family may escape unscathed.

What a year of adjustments this is going to be for people in America. Not only are most of us learning to live on less money, but we will also most likely have to stop long enough to be sick at least once in the next few months. This flu is not the kind of thing where you can just pop some Ibuprofen and keep going. It lays you flat. Getting more rest. Spending less money. What is the world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment