Friday, September 11, 2009

Respect, Remembrance and Renewal

In the wake of Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst during President Obama's speech, I've been thinking about respect and how anger causes us to toss our manners and our decency away. By many accounts, Rep Wilson is a pretty good guy and this outburst was completely uncharacteristic of him. His rant created a quite a financial windfall for the man who will be running against him in the next election. But, I understand, it has also boosted his own fundraising with certain groups.

I'm not sure why so many people are reacting with such hateful words and actions towards Obama. I have to wonder if it's because we can't feel comfortable making fun of him. I mean, look at what we did to Bush. Comedians had a field day, and I laughed harder than anyone. I was no fan of Bush, but I didn't hate him. But yes, I did poke fun and adopted the word "stragtegery" into my everyday vocabulary. I actually got so bad, I can't tell you which funny things that Bush actually said or which ones were creations of Will Ferrell playing Bush. But no one is making fun of Obama. Is it because he doesn't provide any material or because we are uncomfortable poking fun at the first African-American President? Where would the line be between satire and racism? And what might happen if we crossed it? I'm not saying that huge issues like the war in the Middle East and healthcare are laughing matters, but I really believe if we were laughing a little more we'd be hating a little less.

On this eighth anniversary of 911, I can't help but wish for we could reclaim that sense of community that permeated the country in the wake of the attacks. Yes, there was fear and anger and hatred and a mis-placed rage directed at anyone who even looked like they could be of Middle Eastern descent, and I wouldn't want to go THERE again. But it was a time when partisanship was put aside. People had a renewed sense of just exactly who our neighbors are and a deep desire to help those who needed it most.

My daughter is learning all about the Presidents in a book that her Oma and Opa gave her. She has not failed to notice that there are no women in the list. She's planning to be the first. Hopefully, but the time she gets there, we will be a more respectful, loving and service-oriented nation. And I'm sure she'll give the people plenty to laugh about!

No comments:

Post a Comment