Monday, June 14, 2010

Buy Nothing June Marches On

In spite of my I-pod withdrawal, I am actually enjoying buy-nothing-June. It's nice to go somewhere with daughter and not have to go through "can I have? can I have? can we buy? can we get?" I'm not sure yet how we will transition back into the "buying" months and still maintain some of the restraint we have shown this month. We may need to strictly define what she needs to pay for out of allowance and for what we will foot the bill. Although, now that she's moving into tween-ville, those lines get even more blurred.

We have had to stretch a couple of times over and above the I-pod incident. Our two porches are in dire need of a power wash, but a hose down will have to do for now. Skip has had to give up his Saturday scratch ticket ritual. Daughter is pretty low on summer clothes now that school uniform time is over, so I have do laundry more often to make sure she has something clean to wear. I may be sporting a more natural look as the month wears on and my make-up supply runs out. At the risk of TMI, I am sloughing off summer skin with a homemade concoction of sugar and olive oil because my body scrub ran out a week ago. For the good of the family, I did purchase some heavy-duty hair conditioner to keep the tangles out of tender-headed daughter's sun and chlorine damaged hair. I decided that was a necessity.

I wish I could somehow tabulate the amount of time I have gotten back these last two weeks by not stopping here and there to pick up this and that. Add to that the time saved by not looking through sales flyers or e-mail specials, and I may gain a whole day of my life back in this one month.

Money saved. Time saved. Must remember this. Daughter has decided that the money saved this month should go to the World Wildlife Fund to help save endangered species.

1 comment:

  1. Anne Russ!
    I saw on fb that John Arnold told you to blog on, then I got all huffy, "How did I not know she was blogging?!", then I clicked around on your facebook, and lookee here!

    So glad to have found your blog!
    Look forward to reading more.
    Hoping to see your real face someday soon.

    ReplyDelete