Monday, July 27, 2009

Camp is in Session and the Container is Here

The container arrived. My cousin's son and his wife came to pick up quite a bit of it. They've just gotten married and were able to buy a house, but don't have any furnishings for it. They were also a big help in picking through the boxes. But even with their help, it's as big a mess as I thought it would be. WAY to much stuff for our house that is already pretty full of stuff. I think that was just beginning to really sink in with my husband when I made my exit to return to camp. I will totally think about all that on Friday...or maybe even Saturday or Sunday.


All the kids are having a great time at camp. I went to college with the parents of at least 6 of the kids here this week. Something about that makes me feel very old. That, and the fact that two of the counselors have called me Ms. Russ since I've been here. Ugggg.

It's taken me until the second night to get my groove on. I've been used to having at least one staff person to help with AV equipment and to help work out the music and to give feedback on the kids and where they are. But this week, everyone is stretched to the max, so one of the counselors has been great about setting up all the AV and the ones who help with the music are also great--but there's no time to really prepare. The lack of help and prep time and info on where I am supposed to be when was really irking me at the start, but then I realized that I just don't want to be that person. You know, the person who gets bent out of shape because things aren't going the way she had planned and/or hoped. So, I've moved to a much more roll-with-it kind of place.

The theme of camp is "Live the Word. Change the World". Trying to instill in the kids a sense of call and build their knowledge of the Bible. It is a challenge to come up with something to say at 9 o'clock at night to 70 kids who have been running hard all day long. You hope just a little bit is sinking in with at least some of them! I showed a clip from Spiderwick Chronicles tonight and while I was making my point afterward on of the kids interrupted with "That goblin looked just like Yoda". So maybe he's not the one I reached tonight.

Great bunch of counselors. Really impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment